Green has arrived! Everyone is talking about it, writing magazines, celebrities are promoting the lifestyle, and your cool neighbor is trying to convince you! However, “being green is not easy.” Kermit said that, and I’m sure most of us can agree in theory that we want to provide a better tomorrow for the next generation, but incorporating it into our current lifestyles can seem overwhelming. Being environmentally conscious is something you can gradually incorporate into your families’ lives over time. Even small changes can have a big impact. As parents, you want to set a good example by being a good citizen, a good steward with those around you. Some of you have already noticed that your habits and attitudes (for better or worse) are inherited by your children. You are their first influence, so make sure it’s for positive things.
Here are five easy and small ways to jump-start your green journey:
- Use cloth or reusable diapers – The Real Diaper Association estimates that 27.4 billion disposable diapers are consumed in the United States each year, and there are 18 billion disposable diapers that end up in landfills each year. You can actually save money by using cloth diapers and/or reusable diapers. Diapers are harmful to the environment, so do your best to make the disposal of diapers less harmful to the environment. Currently, Diaper Dékor pails use biodegradable refills that degrade faster than plastics for a more environmentally friendly disposal of diapers.
- Use environmentally friendly fabrics and materials – Purchase materials with highly renewable fabrics, such as bamboo or organic cotton products. As a general rule, avoid materials that contain harmful chemicals. There will be double benefits to purchasing ingredients that are great for baby’s sensitive skin and are a better alternative to protect the environment.
- Walk instead of driving short distances – Car emissions contribute to air pollution, which affects the environment as well as the health of residents. For shorter distances, such as picking up a few items from the grocery store or going to your local video store, walk instead of driving. Walking can be a great family activity, and there are many baby products that make walking fun and productive as a family. When walking with toddlers or babies, use a stroller or Lascal M1 baby carrier to make it fun for the whole family.
- Easy green projects around the house – Roll up your sleeves and get busy making your home green and efficient. Little things like sealing your doors and windows, using a programmable thermostat, changing the heater’s air filter, or using fluorescent bulbs can help a lot. Go even further and plant a small garden, an activity you can enjoy with the whole family.
- recycle – Recycling is so easy in this day of our age that you can do it in your sleep! Most cities garbage facilities offer recycling services, just grab a can and start recycling plastic, glass and paper.
Maybe being green isn’t all that hard. Start slow and add more as you get used to the green lifestyle. Remember, small changes you make can have positive effects for your children’s future.