How Does Air Pollution Affect Children’s Health?

Air pollution can affect anyone, including children. Recently, many studies have been conducted to find out how air pollution can have a negative impact on children’s health.

And the bad news is that the results were scary. In this article, we will learn more about it. Keep reading to learn more.

Today, air pollution is a widespread problem across the planet. According to a study by the World Health Organization, approximately 93% of children in the world are breathing in an environment full of air pollution. The remaining 7% of children are exposed to high levels of pollution.

Air pollution can affect people of all ages, but children are at higher risk for a variety of reasons. For example, they have immature organs and breathe faster than adults. Therefore, they take in more pollutants than adults. Apart from that, they spend a lot of time outside playing with other friends.

Pollutants can adversely affect unborn babies. Indeed, exposure to certain specific pollutants can cause birth defects. The most common of these pollutants are CO, O3, NOx, SO2 and PM, just to name a few.

Also, many studies have found that long-term exposure to particulate matter can increase the likelihood of low birth weight and preterm birth. There’s also solid evidence that pollutants can cause stillbirths.

When it comes to children’s health, air pollution is on the list of the most dangerous threats. If you look at the statistics, you will realize that about 10% of children under the age of 5 die due to air pollutants.

Infant mortality rate: the higher the pollution level, the higher the probability of infant mortality. This applies to exposure to different types of toxic gases.

Neuro Development: According to some recent research, pollution can harm a child’s cognitive abilities. It can also trigger different behavioral disorders in children such as ADHD and autism.

obesity: According to many studies, there is a link between obesity and pollution in children. WHO has published several reports suggesting that air pollution can lead to a higher risk of heart and respiratory disease. As a result, your children may be obese due to slower metabolism.

Lung function: Children growing up in a polluted environment may experience insufficient lung growth. This is because there is a strong link between pollutants and lung function.

ALRI: Prolonged exposure to pollutants can cause acute lower respiratory tract infections such as pneumonia in children. And we know that respiratory infections are on the list of the most common killers in the world.

Asthma: If your children continue to breathe polluted air for a long time, they may develop asthma.

Long story short, these are just a few of the ways air pollutants can have a negative impact on your children’s health. If you want to avoid these problems, we recommend using quality air purifiers.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *